VAGINAL STEAMING aka Vagine Steam
What it Does
This treatment is a gentle way to apply warmth and healing herbs to the pelvis. The tissues of the vagina are exceptionally porous and absorbent, and the warmth of the steam works to soften and open them. When the herbs are placed in the hot water, their medicinal properties, including volatile oils, are released and carried to the surface of your skin, and to the vulva, where they are absorbed into the body including the womb, cervix and ovaries. The herbal steam increases circulation, thins mucus, and cleanses the entire reproductive system, allowing it to shed unnecessary membranes and build-up. In doing so, we support the uterus to function at its best.
Steaming can reduce pain, bloating and exhaustion associated with menstruation.
- Decrease menstrual flow as well as reduce dark purple or brown blood at the onset or end of menses
- Regulate irregular or absent menstrual cycles
- Assist with fertility
- Heal and tone the reproductive system after birth
- Treat uterine fibroids, ovarian cysts, uterine weakness, uterine prolapse and endometriosis
- Assist with improving circulation and tissue repair from a vaginal tear, episiotomy or C-section scar
- Assist with the healing of haemorrhoids
- Treat chronic vaginal/yeast infections and maintain healthy odour
- Relieve symptoms of menopause
- It can help rejuvenate the reproductive system through fresh blood supply.
- It can bring vitality to the internal and external vaginal tissue (think about how great the skin on your face looks after a gua sha – that’s the increased blood flow, and the same thing happens down there!)
- It can make for greater sensations during sex due to the excess blood flow.
When to Steam
* 3 x within the week before your period begins
* Every 2 weeks to enhance fertility
* 4 x per year for preventative care
DO NOT steam during your period, a vaginal infection, pregnancy, fresh spotting, continual heavy or spontaneous bleeding between periods, extremely hot weather, after ovulation when trying to conceive
Steam Duration Guide
SHORT SESSION 10-15 minute steam
– short menstrual cycles (27 days or fewer)
– intermittent bleeding
– signs of excess heat (hot flushes, night sweats, infections)
MEDIUM SESSION – 30 minute steam
– 28-30 day menstrual cycle
LONG SESSION – 45 minute steam
– any issues that are further up into the reproductive system e.g. scarring
It should be 100% comfortable and soothing.
- It feels great
- Better sleep
- Decreased swelling in legs and feet
- Decreased abdominal bloating
- Slimmer waistline
- Increased libido
- Decrease in breast soreness
- Reduced headaches
- Fewer PMS symptoms
- Increased energy
- Lucid dreams
- Tingling feet
- Increased lubrication
Undesirable Side Effects
Shortened menstrual cycle (<27 days)
If steaming shortens the amount of days in your menstrual cycle and it is 27 days or less, then you may need more gentle herbs.
Developing a headache after steaming is more likely you’re dehydrated. Ensure you drink enough fluids. Alternatively, reducing the length of the steam session to 20 minutes or less can help as the steam my have increased circulation too quickly.
Aching feet may be a sign that steaming has increased your circulation too quickly – reduce the length of the session.
If you start to bleed unexpectedly with heavy bleeding and you are on menstrual cycle day 20 or less, this may be a sign that the steam session was too hot for your body. Reduce the steam sessions to 10 minutes. Continue your steaming protocol when all bleeding has stopped.
Yeast Infections or a Herpes Outbreak
If either of these occur after steaming, then this might mean that you got too much heat. Move to a more suitable herbal steam with disinfecting herbs and steam for 10 minutes only.
Sensation to Urinate
The bladder is right next to the vagina so sometimes the steam stimulates it giving the sensation to urinate. Ensure you wee before you start your steam session.
If cramping occurs after steaming, is mostly a sign that old residue has loosened up and the uterus is aiming to move it out by contracting. It is perfectly normal to feel this. Note, that if this has occurred it may also increase cramping sensations during your period. It is recommended to increase the frequency of steaming and the duration of the steam sessions (up to 30-40 minutes) to continue to loosen the old matter and help free it up so that it can flow out.
Dr Nic is available for consultations and more treatment plans for your menstrual and hormonal health via booking here. Her wealth of knowledge and experience helps weave hormonal treatments to include cosmetic and facial acupuncture simultaneously. Feel free to book a cosmetic acupuncture appointment knowing that your hormonal and period issues will also be included in your consult.
Buy your Vagine Steam here