Great for reducing stress & aiding sleep.
We use foot baths to help reduce stress, anxiety, and over-thinking, and help with sleeping conditions. It is best used in conjunction with sleep hygiene and avoiding any electronics for 30 minutes prior to bed. The idea is to pull all the hot energy or ‘qi’ down from the mind/‘shen’ to the feet in order to relax and calm ready for sleep. It also boosts the kidney element which begins under the foot, and pertains to vitality and calm.
- Find a bucket that you can fit both feet in at the same time. This is best done next to bed, and should be the last thing you do before sleep.
- Fill the bucket with water as hot as you can stand (do not burn), but the hottest water you can cope with, to the level that is covering your ankles.
- Soak feet for a minimum 10 minutes, 15-20 minutes is ideal.
- Use this time is to do breathing exercises, meditation, listening to calm music, or reading a non-engaging book (the idea is to be relaxed, not stimulated).
- Remove your feet from the bucket, towel dry, put on socks, and if possible, try not to let your feet touch the ground before bed.
You may also add to your foot bath:
- Epsom salts (about 1 cup)
- Normal salt (up to 1 cup)
- Any essential oils (lavender is a good place to start) Rose petals, slices of ginger, or goji berries.
You don’t have to put anything in, but these are additions if you choose to.